Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:09:34 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB, scanners, and SANE?

> I've been poking around the USB website and seperatedly
> noted the addition of support for USB under -current.
>
> Reading the www.usb.org site I mostly got the sense of Plug&Pray.
> Basically, plug it in, don't worry be happy.
>
> My wife as a HP Scanjet 4100CXI on her PC running [censored].
>
> I'd like to take a stab at getting it to work under FreeBSD.
> I'm not above writing code.
>
> SANE has support for HP scanners of both SCSI and parallel port
> versions.
>
> Via the existing FreeBSD USB support will it be possible for me
> to create a communication channel for the SANE backend to talk
> to the scanner?

"a SANE backend", which someone will have to write.

> HIDs and Classes (was it?) have me worried that I have to wait
> for particular support for scanner class devices.  But on the
> other hand, maybe this is not that case, and perhaps I can use
> some generic interface to access the scanner.

You'll have to write a scanner class driver, yes.  You *may* have to
write scanner-specific code as well, depending on how nicely the
scanner plays, and how useful the generic scanner class is (I haven't
seen a document for it yet).

> Any pointers or clarification on the FreeBSD USB interface
> would be appreciated.

Right now, the code is your friend.  I think Nick is on the road for
Christmas, but I could be wrong there.   There are a couple of class
drivers already implemented, so you've certainly got something to start
with at least.