Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 19:44:04 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, core@FreeBSD.ORG, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: broken loader?

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 11:33:57PM -0300, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Jordan, I test is FICL stuff runs on beast, but I cannot test if it
> *boots* on it. This particular error would not get caught except during
> boot, as it (appears to be) a result of memory shortage for loader on
> alpha.

That is why you can enlist the help of freebsd-alpha (and soon
freebsd-ppc) to help with testing.

The loader is something that is hard to deal with if there is a problem
with it.  Consider if I committed something to the toolchain such that it
could no longer compile itself or anything else.  Thus I take extra care
with commits to it.

There is not fix-floppy for the Alpha, and WCCDROM/BSDi/WRS has cut the
fixit disc from their product.  Due to limitations of the platform one
cannot boot into the loader from the install CD and continue the boot
from the hard disk.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)