Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:01:37 -0800
From:      "Thor Anderson" <thor_anderson@hotmail.com>
To:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, thundergod@bigfoot.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: REPOST - Installation Bug - All available versions hang on install

> > FreeBSD hangs without errors early in the install process on my
>computer.

> >  What makes this system unusual is that it
> > is "legacy free" which means it has none of the traditional I/O ports
>(no
> > serial, parallel, PS/2 or even floppy interface).  All I/O is via one of
> > the five USB ports on the case.
>
>A friend of mine recently ran into this problem on an embeded system.
>The solution for him on 5.x was to enter the following at the loader
>prompt to disable the keyboard and floppy probes because they tend to
>hang:
>
>hint.atkbdc.0.disabled=1
>hint.atkbd.0.disabled=1
>hint.fdc.0.disabled=1
>
>Unfortnaly, you can't do that since you don't have a serial port.  The
>one hack I can think of would be to try to PXE boot the CD image from
>another machine.  You could then modify the loader.conf on the pxe image
>to force these settings.
>
>These drivers are broken and need to be fixed since I'm sure this
>problem will only become more common.

Thanks Brooks.

I'll be trying to find a "normal" computer to install FreeBSD.  Hopefully
with it, I can try to implement some of the suggestions being offered -
including a PXE boot.

I found the LOADER.CNF file on the CD.  If I were to burn the CD to a CDRW,
could I edit that file manually and then boot from the CD?

Thor

Cell phone ‘switch’ rules are taking effect — find out more here.
http://special.msn.com/msnbc/consumeradvocate.armx