Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:56:55 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        peterh@sapros.com
Subject:   Re: I think Samba is causing a 4.7-STABLE box to lock up.

Peter Haight wrote:
> I have this backup script that uses samba to gather files from various
> windows machine and then writes them to a DVD+RW. Recently the computer has
> been frezzing in the middle of the script. When this happens the computer is
> completely frozen. You can't even type on the console or connect in through
> the network. In this case, I have to cycle the power.

Sounds more like a hardware problem to me, possibly overheating from doing
lots of I/O to disk and burning a DVD at the same time, or maybe just
straining the power supply enough to trigger a crash from sagging voltage.

> What can I do to figure out what is going on?

If you up the verbosity level of samba's logging using the -d flag to smbd,
(by hand, via /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh, samba_flags in /etc/rc.conf or
some such), you can get vast quantities of logging info from Samba.

But I suggest first looking through your existing Samba logs and other
messages under /var/log, and see what's there now.  To determine whether it
really is Samba causing the problem, or something else, stop samba, and try
doing something like:

while true; do
du -a / > /dev/null
done

...for a few hours to generate a solid load on your hard drive(s).  Then try
burning a DVD while that command is still running, and see whether you get a
system crash or lockup.

-Chuck

PS: Also see "man crash" and the handbook.