Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 13:45:47 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com ("Jordan K. Hubbard")
Cc:        francisco@natserv.com ("Francisco Reyes"), chat@freebsd.org ("FreeBSd Chat list")
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD into larget corp. environment?

"Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> > I tried once to help with documentation and found it frustrating. If
> > they could just give a bit more guidance on how to do SGML that would
> > be a great starting point. I tried looking at the existing code and
> > didn't get too far.
>
> But it's just not that complex?

No, it isn't complex. Especially so if you've fiddled with html
and got the idea of how a markup language works. Same principle
(html is an sgml subset, with its own dtd).

> I appreciate the fact that a guide would be helpful,

Yep, it would. I didn't manage to find much helpful on the
Linuxdoc dtd, though, after some hours of looking, and this
is really what is needed, not so much sgml itself which
apart from the intricacies of setting up a new DTD is
conceptually straight-forward.

OTOH, the docbook dtd does come with a sizeable amount of
documentation. It'll be good when that is finally integrated.

> Pretty much all of us learned SGML just from looking at the existing
> examples.  We're not talking rocket science here, after all, just a
> simplistic markup language. :)

Just to clarify, it is probably the Linuxdoc DTD you're mainly
talking about here.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/