Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 13:47:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        ccsanady@friley216.res.iastate.edu, freebsd-smp@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: sys/i386/include pmap.h

> Long term, I think I agree, I go back and forth on just what the model
> should look like.  For the short term I have many reasons for my
> "minimal impact" model:

[ ... expedient reasons ... ]

>   making an SMP kernel that boots & runs on a uniprocessor board is currently
> impossible for a lot of 'architectural' reasons, ie alot would have to change
> in the mainline code to make this work.  Look at how we pervert things
> like curproc for an example.

The main line code should be changed, regardless.  It would definitely
benefit from the changes, and the interrupt architectures for non-Intel
machines dictate a similar change be made for porting in any case.

I would like to see the change driven by the SMP requirements, since
it would be much harder to go back and retrofit SMP if the changes
only considered the porting requirements, and not the SMP.

The SMP code integration is going to be A Big Deal.  If you can fit
some additional (good!) changes in under that umbrella, so much the
better.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org