Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:24:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Old Business: followup about dirty 'modules' directory

A month or so ago I queried/complained about src/sys/modules getting corrupted
with architecture specific derived files such that I could no longer share
between i386 && alpha.

Part of this issue had to do with having some idiocy on my part, but part of
it *seems* to have to do with if you change the default /usr/obj to somewhere
else.

The setup I have here for all of my varied test machines is:

	private/per-machine /usr/src (CVS to local cvsup'd copy, ergo, out
	of date)

	shared, NFS mounted sys, mounted as /tstsys, and thence a loopback
	mount to a local directory for /tstsys/compile, CVS to freefall
	(ergo, could be kept up to the minute for all platforms)

What was happening is that just one machine seemed to be polluting
/tstsys/modules with derived files (.ko's, .depends, etc.). Big PITA. I
queried and everyone said, "huh?", so I shut up and simply loopback mounted
/tstsys/modules to a local directory for that machine as well.

I finally decided that this was stupid, and looked into it more. It appears
that this was the only machine that had a MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX set. Somehow this
seemed to interfere with the dance that goes on with building modules for each
kernel.

I haven't tracked it further than this, but thought I should mention it in
case anyone else has stubber their toe on this one.

-matt