Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 02:09:55 -0600
From:      "Robert Palank" <srfpala@inlink.com>
To:        <support@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with 2.2.2 Install

I received and attempted to install Free BSD 2.2.2 using
a Sony CDROM - - the process failed at different points in the
install process!
I then re-installed FreeBSD 2.1.0 using the same CDROM Drive
and completed a successful install - even had X running
but without a Mouse!
So Free BSD does install on this Compaq ProLinea 3/25zs with 4 Meg.
( I suspect it wants more memory but X did run in 4 Meg )
So what can be going wrong with my 2.2.2 install?
Following support's suggestion, I tried using a 2.2.5 Release Boot and set
rel to 2.2.2 and did choice 6 (Minimal). It froze the machine looking for
swap space!  So I tried a Novice install again with two conflicts in the
Active Drivers (psm0 and sc0) This time the install process died at the end

of bin,  bin/cat,  bin/chio(as seen with AltF2.

Here is what I know after multiple install attempts of 2.2.2 with
the 2.2.2 boot.
[wd0s2a 20Mb  /]  [wd0s2e 30Mb /var]   [wd0s2f  87Mb /usr]
Attempted a Novice install during which the CDROM drive is read.
On Try 1 I got to chmod,cp,csh,date....echo...ln
and the installation process died at ln with no error message -
just a frozen machine.
On Try 2 it died at chmod ( not as far into the process )
At first I thought the problem was a bad CD from Walnut Creek,
but their second CDROM has not improved the situation.
Doing a minimal install didn't work either!
I have no idea as to what to do next and hope to tap
the significant expertise of your staff and I await any advice and hope I
can maintain a contact with one install expert.

Best Regards
   Bob Palank( St. Louis, Mo.)