Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:35:30 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        John Angelmo <john@veidit.net>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Killing SPAM

mimedefang uses spamassassin.   I also use spambnc.  All combined
are very effective.  The idea is to block/classify messages when
they arrive at the server, so the clients can avoid the nasties.

One problem, unavoidable, is false positives, where a message that
is desired looks like spam.  With some tuning this can be gotten
very rare, but never perfectly eliminated.  So I put rejected
messages into a spam file rather than just dropping them, and do a
quick scan once in a while to catch things incorrectly blocked.
But the tuning probably needs to be done per-user, by the user,
so is not practical for non-technical users.

mimedefang does perfectly its main job of removing executable
attachments without any tuning.  But that's not blocking spam.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.