Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:48:11 -0800
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Randomizing master sites for distfile downloads...

> > Pending a few more days of review of the updated version of
> > random(6) on -audit [...]
> >
> > Thoughts/comments?  -sc
>
> What about those systems compiled (or indeed installed) with NO_GAMES ?
>
> Since the only base system requirement is 'bin' or 'base' (and,
> perhaps, 'crypto'), reliance of the ports structure on anything
> outside of this may have bad consequences.

That's precisely the reason why I have this:

.if exists(/usr/games/random)

in the patch.  :) If a system doesn't have random(6), the worst
that'll happen is they'll get a search order identical to where we are
right now.

Now, if you're advocating elevating random(6) to random(1), it
certainly wouldn't be the 1st time I've seen a program called "random"
included in /usr/bin as a part of the base distro.  Given I added the
mods that make this possible, I wouldn't take up trying to make this
happen unless someone else thought it was a good idea.  We're not
talking about a huge utility here either, so I don't imagine it'd be
that tough:

% size random
   5626     324      64    6014    177e /usr/games/random
% ls -l /usr/games/random
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7612 Feb  9 11:20 /usr/games/random

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden