Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:59:35 +0300
From:      Anton - Valqk <lists@lozenetz.org>
To:        Marian Hettwer <mh@kernel32.de>
Cc:        Andy Kosela <andy.kosela@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CLARITY re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is prematurewithbuggy 6.3

Thanks for the answer,
so lets tell what I think :)

Marian Hettwer wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:50:57 +0300, Anton - Valqk <lists@lozenetz.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the answer!
>> I'm glad someone answered me a human way,
>> because two times before, I wasn't answered that way
>> (well... my posts were angry and incomplete but...that's why i didn't
>> continued to post...my bad).
>>

> Well then, lets continue answering in a human way. Which is, funnily
> enough, usually the more productive way too ;-)
>

>> now on topic:
>>

> yeah!
>

>>> Thats unfortunatly true.
>>> But there is a way around. As soon as you have several FreeBSD boxes,
>>>
>> I'd
>>
>>> advise you to install your own FreeBSD box for packages building.
>>> So if you need to update your php installations, go to your build box
>>> (which has the very same versions of programs installed as your
>>>
>> production
>>
>>> boxes), update your ports tree and do a "make package" of your new php
>>> port.
>>> If the new php package works fine on your build box, roll it out via
>>> "pkg_add -r $NEWPHPTHINGY" and off you go.
>>>

>> I do have a build server(well a jail but works for me), also I have test
>> eviornment (jailed too).
>> I use this jail to build all my pkgs and use pkg_add -r (sweeet!!).
>> For most of the ports this works, but sometimes something in make
>> package breaks and i get a port installed partially
>> (last case - apache22 got installed but no /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22
>> rc script, previous - pg_ctl never got installed)
>> and in +CONTENTS file the missing files claimed to be there.
>>
> hm... sounds like a bug to me. On the other hand, you have to try to get it
> to be reproducable. If it's a one timer then yes, it's annoying, but really
> really hard to reproduce and therefor to fix.

the problem is that I don't have enought time to setup a testing server
and find out
when the problem occurs, because it's random seen, on 10-15th build of
the new port this happens,
I've noticed that if I make

#> make deinstall distclean install pakcage-recursive

the problem occurs much more rare compared to just

#> make deinstall ditsclean package-recursive

I simply currently don't have time for test setup ;(
>> I've had to rebuild that kind of port so I can install it again (after
>> pkg_delete) to have the port working.
>>
> yeah, annoying.
>

>> This happens most often when I do make install package-recursive (so I
>> can get all needed ports installed).
>>
> If you can reproduce it step by step, it may be worth posting to ports@
> again with what you did and what happened.
> Either you're doing something wrong, or something is broken.
> However, it needs to be reproducable. At least in your environment. As a
> starter, so to say :)
> The more detailed your steps are written down, the more likely someone will
> either follow those steps or give you a direct hint on "humm, could be
> something bad over there... hm hm).

I understand that, that's why I didn't posted again because, as I said i
don't have time to
sitdown and setup and try to reproduce it.
>> Another strange thing is that when I use php-extensions to build all
>> that I need (this takes most of my time when build/install new php)
>> breaks because of the ?'bug'? described few lines above. as I said noone
>> got interested in this problem...
>>
> I can't say anything specific about the php problem you said. I'm not using
> php, or well, very rarely. I'll give it a try to update it the make package
> way next time.
> Unluckily this is a one-box only system. hmmm... If I find the time to
> test, I'll drop you mail. But time is rare (admin life vs. normal life).
>
> To cut that short: Yeah, I can understand that this is annoying. But I'm
> sure as hell:
> - if it's a bug it can be fixed
> - if it's a user error, it can be changed
> - and all this has happened to me when trying to build my own debian
> packages too ;)
> And it happened to me with Gentoo, too.
> Nothing new at all. Just the regular annoyances in sysadmins life. IMO :)

agree with that, just my effort with debian is much smaller than fbsd ports.

>>> Well, its one time doing a make package...
>>> Even debian has no plus point there (at least in our environment at
>>>
>> work).
>>
>>> We pretty much always need our Apache 2 custom build, not the way the
>>> Debian projects build it. Thus we have a Debian build box around and
>>>
>> build
>>
>>> our own Apache 2.2 package.
>>> This is, indeed, the same amount of effort you would have when using
>>> FreeBSD.
>>> IMO the overhead in Debian to build a package is higher than in FreeBSD,
>>> but YMMV.
>>>

>> If you build packages from source then debian just sux (much more
>> complex and long procedure), but there is a tell - "if you do it with
>> debian - do it THE DEBIAN WAY"...  :-).
>>
> I am doing it the debian way. Using the debian source package and try to
> update from there. Still its a more complex procedure then upgrading a
> FreeBSD port.
> I just can't use the prebuilt debian packages. So where's the Debian way
> from that point?!

deb-src ;-)
that's why I like debian when using standartized .debs and prefer fbsd
when need custom stuff.

>> I totally agree with that, but on all debian machines I use packages
>> provided from debian, because they've made it very modular,
>> and I was able to config them the way I need and everything is working
>> for me.
>>
> You're lucky then :)
>

>> In 99.99% of the cases when I do apt-get dist-upgrade the machine works
>> like a charm after it, and that's a fact (in fbsd when make installworld
>> too, but not for ports - which is the focus here).
>>
> Right. One should never mix up, that Debian is, well, a kernel and a whole
> lot of software, whereas in FreeBSD you really have a line between the base
> OS and later installed software (ports).

agree :)
>> Actually that's what *BSD prouds with - building everything from source
>> (like gentoo), well it's a must to be simplified then (debian where
>> everything is supposed to be used from bin .deb) :).
>>

> I really don't think that *BSD is proud about building everything from
> source. Since we now even have freebsd-update to binary update FreeBSD
> itself. And you usally find prebuilt packages too.
> No, No. IMO FreeBSD isn't proud about building everything from source :)
>
> I do have that feeling about Gentoo users, though *g*

about gentoo :) YES YES YES ~:) they are VERY proud to build everything
from src... :)
about fbsd - the most opinions I've heard are argumented with that you
get 3-12% percents performance
from building srcs with cpu and machine optimizations. That's why I said it.

>> About the bug fixes, I think if that's a SECURITY backport it shouldn't
>> fix bugs, because I've saw few devs deploying an app and the were using
>> 'known bug' in ruby to work with.
>> so they were unable to use higher version of ruby that got this bug
>> fixed. (we'll obviously a developer mistake in design but if it's in a
>> production will take months to redesign - not an option).
>>
> hhhmm... but then you're really in trouble. This is a situation... well,
> hell no. I don't wanna be in this game.
> A bug in a peace of software can lead to uncontrolled shutdown or could
> even evolve into a security whole.
> If possible I don't want bugs.
> If there's an application which just runs with the buggy version of ruby
> (perl, python, whatever), then lets start beating the devs. Literally
> speaking ;)

agree but when you host VPSes you can't beat the devs... :(
>> Which is why maybe it's better not to fix bugs but just vulns in
>> SECURITY backports (according to me of course) - if you need that bug
>> fixed, then install new version.
>>

> Opinions really will vary on this topic.
> In my MySQL example, we want to have the bugfixed version, 'cause those
> bugs are really bad.
> Same counts for Apache (not as often as MySQL, though).

right, everything depends on the situations.
>>> hhmm... I really can't agree on that statement.
>>> If you do your admin work in a clean and sane way, most of the time
>>>
>> spend
>>
>>> for updating boxes is spent on testing the change before upgrading. The
>>> difference between a "debuild" for building a new package, and then
>>>
>> apt-get
>>
>>> upgrade / update them on your box vs. "make package" and pkg_add -r them
>>>
>> on
>>
>>> your box is really slim...
>>>

>> If you build from src on debian - yes, but as I explained i use debian
>> .debs and for me it's much faster, because on fbsd ports I have the
>> problem described before,
>> and is very common case to rebuild and rebuild port until it puts all
>> the files in the .tgz :(
>>
> Well yes, thats true.
> However, take a look at the Latest packages on FreeBSD's ftp mirror. There
> are new versions available pretty often.
> On the other hand, you said, you want to have the same version, just
> security fixed.
> Well, I bet the FreeBSD ports team just can't do that, due to a lack of
> manpower.
> Really. Throw in a whole lotta money to employ a few people, or do it your
> own.
> The existing team is doing a wonderful job in keeping the ports tree up to
> date and trying to keep the pr-database as low as possible.
> But from what I know the existing team really doesn't look like it can
> handle -security branches of the ports tree.

pretty often?
I'm testing almost everytime when portaudit (resp. jailaudit) says there
are vluns in some ports,
and never get new fixed versions, anyway, I understand that there is not
enough manpower that's why
I simply say that I'm not satisfied with the current situation, but yes,
the ports crew is making a great job.
I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, I rescue myself how I can, simply
telling my opinion. :)
>> So, a story happened recently:
>> I've had a disk down (ad2) of course it was in gmirror and the situation
>> was 'ah, damn, but it's ok'...
>> but... when I rebooted the server it occured that ad2 was ACTIVE and
>> maybe last fresh and ad0 was DIRTY,
>> ad2 didn't failed at 100% it was responding and found by the bios (and
>> kernel) but when files were requested it timed out.
>> The problem occured when tried to boot from the second disk (ad0)
>> attached with ad2 (at this moment i didn't know that it fails when disk
>> io occurs).
>> because the ad2 was fresh and ad0 was dirty the gmirror failed to mount
>> and boot OS because it was trying to sync data from partly failed disk,
>> and it wasn't able to.
>> I've shutdowned the machine, plugged out the ad2 disk and fired up again
>> hoping gmirror will be smart enough to boot from ad0... but no luck,
>> I was forced to mount root filesystem with no mirror (ad0s1a) and run
>> the server in no mirror mode so I can have this critical machine running
>> while I find a new disk (few hours later I got it).
>> And the nightmare's just began... when I placed the new disk, the
>> gmirrored volume was still trying to sync from ad2, ofcourse, the ad2
>> had no info on it (thanks god gmirror was smart enough to not copy the
>> empty disk).
>> I've had to rebuild the whole gmirror partiions, copy the info from a
>> non-mirrored disk (ad0) and etc.etc... you know the procedure... this
>> took me more than 10 hours and about 5hours downtime on a critical
>> machine....
>>
> Shocking story. huuu...
> I can't comment on that story though, because
> - at work, we're on Debian with hardware raids, no software raid even there
> - my own experiments with gmirror never lead to such a scenario. I should
> try to beat the disk to death, next time I test gmirror ;)
>

>> I suppose this has something to do with the priority in gmirror but I
>> don't have the broken disk to test - it's being replaced because it's in
>> warranty.... but anyways... 10 hours lost and 5hours downtime...
>> now I'm purchaseing a 3ware hw raid because I know that I can't trust
>> gmirror...
>>

> We don't trust LVM and co either.
> But don't ask me why. I believe it's more like a "feeling" than real facts.
> So I better don't start to discuss this matter.

I've just got my 3ware raid, I'll get 2 more spare ones and I'm
migrating to hw raids too. :)
I think the same now.

>> Another strange thing, I've used to use apache22-worker cutom compiled
>> and thread_safe perl, the apache-worker stopped working on a jail (only
>> on one!) and I had to add replacements ot pthread.so in /etc/libmap,
>> I've been adviced not to use worker (as I did) but why the heck after
>> upgrading from 6.3-STABLE to 6.3-STABLE-p3 I got my apache broken and
>> also cron stopped working.
>>
> To few facts. Never happened to me and without details I really can't
> comment.
>

>> strange uh? and all this is in only one jail (I'm using ez-jail to
>> update the world)... if anyone can help me to fix my cron without
>> reinstalling this jail I'd be thanksful!
>>

> You should open another mail thread on that topic and try to gather as much
> facts as you can.

same problem here,
much less effort to migrate to apache22-prefork instead debugging :( -
simply no time,
I've posted a thread about cron but got stuck, because ktrace doesn't
work for the debugging and
that's a production and can't compile with debugging symbols....

> Cheers,
> Marian

cheer,
valqk.