Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:49:38 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Overriding the zpool bootfs property from the loader?

--------------enigCDFA7CFE59B3A81E43B70DA7

Dear all,

I've been playing around with using ZFS boot environments recently, and
been pretty pleased with the concept in general.

One thing I'd love to be able to do, but which I can't find any
description of for FreeBSD, is to be able to override the bootfs
property of the root zpool at an early stage in the boot process -- eg.
by escaping to the loader prompt.  This would facilitate easily
switching between different boot environments, and be particularly
useful if the default boot environment had somehow been rendered unbootab=
le.

Apparently this sort of functionality is possible in Solaris, by using
'boot -Z' or 'boot -L' from the 'ok' prompt:

    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19082-01/817-2271/ggpco/index.html

Any clues on whether the equivalent is possible in FreeBSD and if so how
would be gratefully received.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20