Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 1996 14:06:03 +0100
From:      Bernd Rosauer <br@netland.sub.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org, Thomas Esser <te@informatik.uni-hannover.de>
Subject:   Re: tex package

> I grabbed a binary dist from sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
> which was (as it is with binary dists) a bit sparse on
> documentation. So I tried out the texconfig prgramm which failed.
>
> Later I heard that it requires some env variable to be set to run in
> an xterm.
>
> Meanwhile Thomas did the port and I believe there is no need in
> further support.

It seems to me that the situation is a little bit unclear.  There
are two different packages of teTeX for FreeBSD.  I did both of
them.

In the first place I did the *BSD* ports of Thomas Esser's teTeX
distribution as _binary-only_ packages for NetBSD/i386, FreeBSD
and BSD/OS.  Thomas Esser included them in _his_ package distribution.
This binary package distribution accompanies teTeX's sources and
texmf tree library distribution.  This set of teTeX's *BSD* ports
I did adhere to Thomas Esser's teTeX package installation procedure
(which, by the way, is well documented -- teTeX comes with tons of
documentation).  That was around Summer/Fall 1995.

Thomas Esser and I then recognized from the complaints we received
that it would be more helpful for the respective NetBSD or FreeBSD
or BSD/OS community if we would additionally generate _full_ packages
(including the texmf tree) for the _respective *BSD* ports and
packages collections_.

For example, we proposed this for the FreeBSD part on this mailing
list around December 1995.

Thomas Gellekum then overtook the task of taking care that our port
of teTeX to FreeBSD would be committed to FreeBSD's CVS tree in a
way satisfying your porting standards.  Since we had some trouble
with pkg_create disliking a 100K PLIST the porting project took us
two months, and Thomas Gellekum finally committed the teTeX port
on 1996/2/22.

Meanwhile some other people of your group (notably, Ollivier Robert
and, seemingly, Andreas Klemm) tried porting teTeX themselves.  I
am sorry for the time these people unnecessarily wasted on their
porting efforts.  But we couldn't do more than announcing our
porting project to this list as well as Thomas Gellekum announced
to this list that he would look after our work.

I hope these comments clarify the situation.  (Maybe, you would
also like to have a look at the Makefile of the teTeX port.)  If
there is anything I could do for you regarding the port of teTeX
to FreeBSD I would be happy to do so.

-Bernd

--
Bernd Rosauer