Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 19:30:12 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>, Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: broken pipe

At 07:16 PM 12/29/98 , G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
>At 23:06 29-12-1998 +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>>df reports free space available to normal users. Root however can use
>>more than this, so even if df reports your disk as 100% full, root can
>>still create more files.
>
>Interesting. Where do they get stored? (I admit I have no idea how Unix
>stores files; I am quite familiar with the FAT system, but all I know about
>Unix way is that it is different.)

when the slice gets newfs'ed (the equivalent of a dos format), it puts
aside a certain number of megabytes to help prevent fragmentation and such.
it is set to 10% by default, and it is this 10% that root can write to. if
you look at the back-issue daemonnews (www.daemonnews.org), i believe one
article talks about newfs (i think it was in the article about getting an
IDE zip drive to work on NetBSD)

>My question was (meant to be) generic: When I get so many messages, is
>there some key I can hit to stop the messages so I can get to the prompt
>and type a command and see what it does? That is basically what I am asking.

you could switch to another terminal where you don't get as many messages.
some messages go to the console, some go to wherever root is logged in,
etc. if you're always using ttyv0, then you're getting every possible message.

>Come to think of it, I did not even get a chance to log on. If it did print
>"login:" it scrolled off so fast that I did not see it. I guess I could
>have tried switching to another console, but it did not occur to me at the
>time.

guess i should read the whole message before i reply to a part of it, eh?

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )