Date:      Mon, 04 Nov 1996 21:45:08 -0800
From:      Peter Haight <peterh@prognet.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Device driver specs and an ATAPI CD-ROM (Sanyo Torisan CDR-S1G drive)

I've got a CD-ROM that half works with Freebsd-2.2-961014-SNAP. Basically
if you tell it to play from the beginning, it will play the CD all the way
through, but it has the track information messed up (different results
depending on which cd playing program you use).

It basically boils down to the fact that the CDROM apparently doesn't
implement ATAPI correctly. It doesn't support the READ CD-ROM CAPACITY
ATAPI packet command. (Executing this command produces an
AER_SK_ILLEGAL_REQUEST). This keeps the FreeBSD ioctl library from
correctly generating the leadout track. This leads to general weirdness in
the different software because they use the leadout track to determine
where the end of the last valid track is.

Now, I really don't care whether this problem gets fixed or not, I can swap
this CDROM with the one in my Windows95 box which has a driver that seems
to work with this drive and the CDROM in the Window95 box works fine with
FreeBSD. This was mostly just an exercise to learn about FreeBSD and its
device drivers.

There is one thing I do want to know, though. I figure that since the
Window95 driver works, there must be some way to figure out the length of
the last track. I can't seem to find anything that will work in any of the
other ATAPI commands, so I figure that this drive must have a command
similar to READ CD-ROM CAPACITY but not exactly the same as the ATAPI
standard.

Finally, we have hit my question: How can I get the specification for this
drive to determine whether such a command exists?

I have searched on the web quite a bit for anything related to Torisan,
CDR-S1G, and/or Sanyo, but haven't come up with anything. I'm having
problems even getting an address or phone number for Sanyo which I could use.

Any suggestions? Is there some repository for this sort of information
somewhere? Is ther some secret way to get companies to give you specs?