Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:30:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Memory leak or reporting problem in 2.2-960501-SNAP?

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, John S. Dyson wrote:

> The RSS refers to the pages mapped into the process, but those pages
> may or may not be "active."  Active has to do with the in-memory
> priority (sort of).  Whether or not a page is mapped has little to
> do with that.

    So what should I trust if I'm evaluating the memory load on a
server?  'ps' obviously does not account for all aspects of memory
usage.  I always found the breakdown in 'top' to be quite useful,
except for this one instance showing 91M active with only ~50 httpd's
and ~20 ftpd's running.

> EEEK!!!  I think that I have a fix for that, that I am willing to commit
> to -current.

    Goody.  :)

> 2.2-current is MUCH MUCH better in the VM arena than snap right now.
> I have been holding off anything but simple bug fixes in current, and
> I'll commit the proposed (maybe) fix for that tonight (Sun.)

    Quick questions here (and I guess this goes back to the -stable
vs. -current discussion elsewhere)... I'm running a 2.2-SNAP and not
the recently released 2.1-SNAP.  To which snapshot are you referring?

> It has been very painful, but the VM code is better than it has ever
> been (except for perhaps a few lurking bugs.)

    Cool, and here I thought FreeBSD's VM was already pretty much
state-of-the-art in terms of speed and efficiency.  :)  Thanks.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.