Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2007 22:36:36 -0800
From:      "Albert Meyburgh" <ameyburgh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   monolithic

Hi,

I read that freebsd is monolithic.  Is that still true?

If I wanted to add functionality like device drivers, or maybe my own
tcp/ip stack, (or maybe add the facility to allow modules) do I have
to download the entire source and add it in there?

nothing available like a kernel module in linux? (which afaik you can
attach at runtime)

also when I add packages using the ports system, then remove them, are
they completely gone or are there still random conf files / misc..
laying around slowly bloating the hdd

also is there a way to scan for unused packages somehow and list them

thanks a lot