Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:23:00 +0000
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Mark Hartley <mark@whetstonelogic.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup several hosts with dump

Mark Hartley wrote:

> > rdump 0auf tape_machine:/dev/nrst0 filesystem.
> >
> >> I've looked into Amanda, but it is overkill for what I want to do.
> >> My question is what syntax do I use with dump (or do I use rdump?)
> >> to back up the other machines?  What do I need to do on the other
> >> machines to enable them to be backed up?
> >
> > The tape_machine has to allow root (or bin) from the remote machine
> > to login without a password, I believe. You can run this from tape
> > machine by putting an rsh (ssh) remote_machine in front of the
> > rdump command. And then the remote machine will have to allow root
> > (bin) of the tape machine to login without a password.
>
> I guess my question then becomes:  is there a way I can enable the
> computers to log on to each other as needed without sacrificing
> security?

	Using rsa authentication with ssh may be the best bet for getting
around the interactive password problem and keeping a reasonable level
of security.  Unfortunately I haven't had the time to play rsa
authentication is ssh to make it work, but from everything I've read
about it thus far it seems to be the best mix ( see the ssh manpage for
more info ).

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu