Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 14:43:27 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <ah@dreamchaser.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio CD issue -- most everything but noise  ASUS M4A89TD mobo

On 05/31/12 12:56, Polytropon wrote:

> This functionality is not present on modern boards anymore.
> Also note it's not digital. It's analog. GND plus two
> channels. Audio transmission using the 40/80 pin (P)ATA
> cable would have been digital.

Thanks for the correction, I thought I knew that.  doh.

> Still, there _is_ a way of a workaround which is so ugly and
> partially stupid that I fear to mention it.
>
> You need a cable, 2 x 3.5mm stereo jack, which you connect
> from the front connector of the CD drive to the line-in
> connector on the back of your machine (the main baord's
> line-in connector, typically colored light blue).
>
> I didn't say anything! :-)

Quality sucks though.

> Okay, this means the mixer doesn't even have a CD audio
> mixer channel. If I remember correctly, this channel is
> directly associated to the internal audio connector which
> is _not_ present in your system.

You mean a cd mixer channel for digital audio only shows up if there is a physical analog audio input???

If that's the problem, is there any way to force it?
Otherwise, I'm doa without some kind of kernal patch?
It's hard to imagine no-one else has had this problem...

> The /dev/cd0 device is the "SCSI translated" device which does
> perform the same purpose as /dev/acd0, except that it's not
> using the ATAPI "command set", but the SCSI "command set".
>
> See "man 4 cd" and "man 4 acd" for comparison.

No acd in 9.0.  But I see what you're saying.

> You can also check the content of /dev/sndstat..
>       % cat /dev/sndstat
	FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
	Installed devices:
	pcm0: <HDA VIA VT1708_8 PCM #0 Analog> (play/rec) default
	pcm1: <HDA VIA VT1708_8 PCM #1 Analog> (rec)
	pcm2: <HDA VIA VT1708_8 PCM #2 Digital> (play).

%cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA ATI R6xx HDMI PCM #0 HDMI> (play)
pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC892 PCM #0 Analog> (play/rec) default
pcm2: <HDA Realtek ALC892 PCM #1 Analog> (play/rec)
pcm3: <HDA Realtek ALC892 PCM #2 Digital> (play)
pcm4: <HDA Realtek ALC892 PCM #3 Digital> (play)

I presume the "...Analog> (rec)" on yours is the missing analog input.
Hmmm.  Neither mine nor yours shows any "...Digital> (rec).
Should I expect one if things were working properly?
Probably not, if the inclusion of cd is just triggered by the analog input,
and the card doesn't actually have a physical digital input.

>> (cd0:ata2:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:2c,0 (Command sequence error)
> They appear when trying to access the CD drive via "SCSI commands",
> i. e. using /dev/cd0.

ok, so user generated error by trying to use cd0 instead of cd someplace.

>> From the manpage: "The snd_atiixp bridge driver allows the
> generic audio driver, sound(4), to attach to ATI IXP audio
> devices." Not sure if that applies. Do you have an ATI IXP
> audio device?

Don't think so.  No "ixp" in dmesg
The two audio dmesg entries are

hdac0: <ATI (Unknown) High Definition Audio Controller> mem 0xfe9bc000-0xfe9bfff
hdac1: <ATI SB600 High Definition Audio Controller> mem 0xfe6f8000-0xfe6fbfff ir

I think the first one is the main one, and the second one is a secondary hd output.