Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 12:18:47 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        gmarco@masternet.it (Gianmarco Giovannelli)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: your mail

Gianmarco Giovannelli stands accused of saying:

> maxusers        10

Too low.  Try 2xRAM, eg for 16M, set to 32.

> options         MFS                     #Memory filesystem

You probably don't want that/

> options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3
> options         "SCSI_DELAY=5"          #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
> options         BOUNCE_BUFFERS          #include support for DMA bounce buffers

Or that.

> controller      ahc0    at isa? bio irq ? vector ahcintr
>                 ^^^^
>                 is it necessary ?

Yes, that's the 2940 driver.

> controller      snd0    #Generic support for ALL Sound Card
> device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5 #Sb16 in 16 BIT DMA 5

You also need

device		sb0 ...
device		opl0 ...

> The machine is not on a network...

You may still want

pseudo-device	ether

> 1) When I launch /stand/sysinstall ---> it says : EXEC format error. Wrong
> Architecture.
> With the other kernel everything works, obviusly, fine.

You removed

pseudo-device	gzip

which is needed to run gzipped binaries.

> 2) Aha0 is for A2940 Pci or is a version for other controllers of the same
> family ? i.e. 2740,2840
> which are on the isa (vlb) bus....

The aha driver is for the 1542.  You really should read the LINT file.

> 3) Sb16 is not seen.... :-(

See above.

>          __/// Gianmarco

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[