Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 21:15:29 +1000
From:      Kevin Lam <kevla@studentmail.dis.unimelb.edu.au>
To:        <beatteam@austasia.net>, "Freebsd Newbies List" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting 3 errors ...please help...

At 20:58 8/23/98 +1000, Brett Gray wrote:
>Could Someone please tell me what they mean?
>Aug 22 18:42:38 mail /kernel: spec_getpages: I/O read error
>Aug 22 18:42:38 mail /kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware)
>error, PID 197 failure
>Aug 22 18:42:38 mail /kernel: pid 197 (date), uid 0: exited on signal 11
>(core dumped)

I was once running FreeBSD on a known defective disk (just to try and get
it started), and it kept throwing me this error (mine was PID 1 though,
during system startup), as well as read retry attempts on the hard disk.

I suspect it has something to do with FreeBSD attempting to read from swap,
but is encountering bad blocks on the hard disk.

--
Kevin Lam