Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 13:30:42 -0600
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Current" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   de0 (Asante 10baseT tulip) not working with PNP BIOS

Hello,

    I have been trying to get my Asante (tulip) card to work under FreeBSD.
I used the same card on an older machine (PII-333), but had PNP shut off in
the BIOS.  My new machine does not have the option to shut off PNP in the
BIOS (blame Compaq).  The de0 device is found and the network is setup as
expected.  However, it never works with "device down" messages when I
attempt to use it.  I looked through a dmesg output and saw it say that the
BIOS had not activated the device.  Well, if it (the kernel) sees that the
device is there and not activated, shouldn't it activate it?  I reinstalled
Linux and it finds the card with a similar message and then activates the
card using the tulip driver.

    I have also noticed that the mx driver under FreeBSD 3.x activates the
card just fine.  The above problem seem specific to the de driver.

    I would be happy to give dmesg output, but like I said, I attempted to
see what Linux did and I don't have access to the output anymore (until I
reinstall again).

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@visi.com