Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:09:21 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        rgsuarez@concentric.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd installation

Richie Suarez wrote:

> Hi, before I install freebsd there is a couple of things that I want
> to make sure of. I am going to give freebsd my whole hd, no other
> partitions. I have been told by you guys already that it is not
> neccessary to format my c: before installing freebsd, that I can do
> that during the installation. But the thing that I dont understand is:
> 1. I am installing freebsd via cd-rom.
> 2. i am starting the installation via boot floppy
> 3. once in the installtion, will freebsd provide cd-rom device drivers?
> because I will be deleting my ms-dos drivers.
> well, let me know

What type of CD do you have?
If it is SCSI or ATAPI (IDE) and connected to the "main" controllers
(i.e. not a sound card) it is probably supported. To check, boot the
install floppy with the CD in the drive, and then truy to set the media
type to CDROM (under options in the main menu). If it lets you do that,
your CD was recognized. This check will not (at least it should not)
touch your disk.

Nadav