Date:      24 Oct 2001 21:08:28 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "types" man page

Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> writes:
> In article <xzp1yjt0z14.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> you write:
> > - width on all supported platforms
> Probably a bad idea.  Better to specify the range, rather than the
> width, and do it via the appropriate limit constants, so that people
> don't make unfortunate assumptions.

Ah, yes, I forgot about the limit constants.

I'd still like to document the width, though, but it may be more
useful to just say "this is of the same width as {int,long,void *} on
all platforms".

>                                     The only types which would seem
> to be appropriate to specify the width are the ones which are
> specified by width (i.e., int8_t et al).

I think it would be useful to also document the width of the basic C
types (char, short, int, long, long long, void *) on the different
platforms.

> > - appropriate format specifier and cast to use for printf()ing
> >   variables of that type portably.
> This just needs to be stated once: use %jd and (intmax_t) or %ju and
> (uintmax_t) as appropriate for the signedness, unless it's one of the
> integral types which has a specifically-defined format (char, short,
> int, long, long long, size_t, ptrdiff_t, and intmax_t).

Our printf(3) man page does not mention a 'j' conversion specifier,
and I don't have a copy of C99 at hand.  I suppose it's a C99 thing?
Does our printf(3) (and our printf(9)) support it?

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org