Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:08:56 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (H)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup of ports, then what?

H <hans@lambermont.dyndns.org> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Ports are supposed to run on -STABLE and -CURRENT, and
> > generally run on everything from that branch without to much trouble.
> I would like to see that ports are supposed to run on -RELEASE as well.
> A typical production machine follows -RELEASE (no new holy wars now
> please) but should be able to use a cvsupped ports collection to run the
> latest programs.

My believe - and since I'm not the one doing it, take this for what
it's worth - is that ports are tested on both -STABLE and -CURRENT,
but not against -RELEASE. Most will work properly against -RELEASE,
but it's not supported.

If you're offering to provide that support, great. Start testing them
and reporting the problems.  If not - well, there are lots of things
that people would like to see in FreeBSD that aren't happening for
lack of manpower.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.