Date:      Fri, 18 May 2007 14:09:14 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <mail@maxlor.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>, Pav Lucistnik <pav@freebsd.org>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Specs for saving old shared libs

--nextPart2111829.YjyjHN4EBN

On Friday 18 May 2007 09:50, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2007-May-17 23:31:57 +0200, Pav Lucistnik <pav@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >Just before old package deinstall, scan the list of files installed
> > by old port (pkg_info -g). Match .so.X files under PREFIX/lib and
> > any ldconfig'ed paths 1*), copy them away to
> > /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.
> >
> >After installation of new port, match .so.X files again. If same
> >filenames appear, remove old copies from /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.
> >
> >Finally, ldconfig -r /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
>
> Ideally, you also need some way to identify (and remove) old .so
> files that are no longer referenced by anything.  This is not as easy
> because there's no record of what ports use what .so's (and no way to
> track apps outside the ports system).

The last part seems to be the catch here. How about providing a tool=20
that scans all binaries in the standard locations for what libs they=20
depend on, and also allows the user/admin to specify the paths to=20
binaries that he installed on his own, then outputs a list of unused=20
libraries? This could be just another ports-mgmt tool (and=20
incidentally, I've written scripts that do this several times already=20
(none of them are worthy of publication though, they're just quick=20
hacks)).

Cheers
Benjamin