Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:39:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Niall Smart <nsmart@iona.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running Applixware under FreeBSD - a solution

Hi,

Earlier in the week I asked in anyone had any success on getting
Applixware for Linux to run in emulation mode on FreeBSD.  This is how
I eventually got it working:

- Install Linux emulation.

- Check that simple executables for Linux work (e.g. bash, grep)

- Install the Linux X11 libraries into /compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib

- Put /compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib in your $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

- Check that X executables for Linux work (e.g. xterm, xv)

- Install Applixware.  This might take some hacking, you might have
  to install the rpm files yourself (!) instead of letting the
  supplied script do it for you.  I already had it installed on my
  Linux partition so I just made a symlink from /usr/lib/applix to
  /linux/usr/lib/applix.

- Having installed Applixware in <applix-root>, make the directory
  /compat/linux/<applix-root>/axdata/axshlib

- Make symlinks to the files in <applix-root>/axdata/axshlib from
  /compat/linux/<applix-root>/axdata/axshlib

- Put /compat/linux/<applix-root>/axdata/axshlib in your
  $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE

Regards,

--