Date:      Sun, 01 May 2005 18:33:48 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        stuart@aurora-solutions.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Serial ATA

O'Reilly, Stuart wrote:

> I've been looking at the Highpoint RocketRAID controllers and seen
> that they come with FreeBSD drivers. It's just a question of what is
> good and what to avoid. I am prepared to spend between £40 - £70 on a
> mid range reliable card.

<http://dict.leo.org/se?lp=ende&p=/Mn4k.&search=not>£70 is not a hell of
a lot. Highpoint offers only drivers up to 4.8 and 5.1 for a RR1520; it
might be discontinued. The RR1640 is more comfortable because it
attracts attention with a painful acoustic signal on hard disk failure.
You can even reinitialise the controller or verify a disk array remote
with a GUI from another machine. This is much for a controller of this
price range.  ;-)

> I've done RAID setups in linux before (slackware) but never in FreeBSD
> so i'm looking for recommendations. Not worried about hot swapping
> capability.

By the way, hot swapping works.

Björn