Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:54:16 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   ATTENTION: enabling the PS/2 mouse driver in GENERIC

This issue has been raised several times before and we are approaching
too close to 2.2.6-RELEASE.  But, now I think it is safer to do this
than ever.

I would propose to enable the PS/2 mouse driver, psm, in the GENERIC
kernel in 2.2-STABLE.

In the past the psm driver caused problems with various motherboards,
mostly old 386 and 486-based ones without the PS/2 mouse port.  For
this reason, the driver has been disabled by default and suggestion on
enabling the driver were rejected.

However, I believe that these motherboards are now out-numbered by
newer motherboards and laptop computers with which the PS/2 mouse port
comes as standard.  We see a number of exchanges in mailing lists and
news groups nowadays: "My PS/2 mouse doesn't work.", "Enable psm in
UserConfig..."

After enabling the psm driver in the GENERIC kernel, we may hear "My
keyboard locks up (or works erratically)." occasionally, but, we can
tell him to disable the psm driver then.  After all, boot.flp
advises the user to configure devices in UserConfig.

If no one has any serious objection to this proposal, I would enable
the driver by the end of the week.

Kazu