Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 00:28:04 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interested in patches for dhcp in rc.*?

A lot of people have been asking about our support for DHCP, and as
cable modems become more popular, I think that those requests will
increase. I use one, and I've been working on integrating it into my
system.  I've got things going basically the way I want them, and it
occured to me that adding options for it into rc.conf and rc.network
would be useful. I can hack the scripts and submit patches, but before I
do the work I wanted to check on whether it has a reasonable chance of
being committed.

	I was planning on putting something to the effect of
dhcp_client_enable (yes/no) and dhcp_client_args (pathname and
arguments) in the "Network daemon" section of rc.conf, and putting the
check for it first in rc.network since if you don't run it first some of
the things in rc.network will conflict.  I'd also be interested in
suggestions for other/better ways to handle it.

	One reason for not including something like this would be that it's not
actually part of our distribution, and I don't see anything else in
rc.conf that falls into that category.  OTOH, this isn't something that
runs properly if it's placed in rc.local.

	If you are thinking of incorporating one into the FreeBSD distribution,
I'd like to highly recommend the ISC stuff. They guy that's working on
DHCP for ISC has been very helpful, and shows interest in making what
has been a linux-dominated project more friendly to FreeBSD. (Thanks
also to Justin Seeger for maintaining our port of it.)  They are in a
"just about to be beta" stage right now, and actively soliciting
suggestions. The only thing I have use for is the client, but if some of
y'all wanted to try out the other parts of the package (server, client,
relay, statmsg, sysconfd) and let them know where there are FreeBSD
difficulties I'm sure they'd appreciate it. For more info, check out
http://www.isc.org/dhcp-dev.html.

Looking forward to your comments,

Doug