Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 2009 09:53:30 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        daichi@freebsd.org
Subject:   8.0-RC1 ZFS loader extremely slow

Hi all

I just installed 8.0-RC1 amd64 on a 6 gpt disk ZFS raidz1 (following the
guide on the wiki), but
have problems on reboot with the newly installed ZFS aware loader. The
loader runs correctly,
but incredibly slowly. It takes about 2 hours to get to the point where it
enumerates the BIOS
disks, although when it gets to that point, it does not take a long time to
enumerate each
disk. It takes about 2 minutes for each character change of the spinner!

Fully completing the loader takes somewhere between 2 and 8 hours (I got
bored watching it),
and works correctly. The loader from the memstick image works normally.

Daichi GOTO experienced something similar back in January [1], but there
didn't seem to be
any resolution to that problem. Disabling AHCI has no effect. Interestingly,
we both have P45
based motherboards.

I will try installing 8.0-RC2 tonight, and try to save verbose boot logs,
dmidecode etc. If there
is any other information I should be looking at, please let me know.

Cheers

Tom

[1]
http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/FreeBSD/current/2009-02/msg00108.html