Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 13:25:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gregory C Schohn <gcs@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   new - uncooperative seagate hard drives

hi - I just bought a pair of 18GB HDs (a cheetah 10KRPM & a barracuda).

I've been able to lay partitions down in dos & solaris86 - but I've had no
luck even correctly reading the partition table.  Each time, I get try
reading the parition, fdisk complains of an invalid partition table.

I've gone through fdisk many times now to build some partitions & each
time the disk light flickers, & there are no complaints, but when I go
back - the table is untouched (& still has an invalid magic).

so - I saw that some people where having problems w/ newer scsi drives &
adaptec controllers (I have a 2940U2W).  One workaround was to disable the
write cache.  I tried doing this w/
camcontrol modepage da2 -m 8 -e -P [1234]
& WCE never showed up in the editor (though it did when I just listed
contents).  When I added it, camcontrol complained w/
camcontrol: modepage entry "WCE" is read-only; skipping.

interestingly the WCE flag is set to 0 (though on my ibm hd it is set to
1, so I was presuming that the values were flipped).

the drives are
pass1: <SEAGATE SP118273LC 6246> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
pass1: Serial Number LP7294430000114024TQ
pass1: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing
Enabled
&
pass2: <SEAGATE ST118202LC 0006> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
pass2: Serial Number LCC47151000021400@Y1
pass2: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit), Tagged Queueing
Enabled

does anybody know if (a) these drives could be susceptible to the firmware
bug that was discussed back in July or (b) if so, how can I edit the WCE
flag?

any help would be very much appreciated...
thanks,
Greg