Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:18:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, brandon@glacier.cold.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:

> > The problem with animation during startup is that during the device
> > probes (the bits that the original proposition was trying to cover
> > with the splash (bad idea IMHO, but I understand the reasoning)), you
> > can't guarantee that you will get your interrupt regularly to do your
> > palette cycles.  The animation would be cheezy to say the least.  I
> > don't actually thingk that animation is terribly useful.
>
> This is only because we are stupid and use DELAY() instead of a
> calibrated timer list of one-shot outcall functions.  Using a
> spinloop is just inherently stupid.

Uh?  You are still thinking like a CS guy, not a hardware programmer.

When I am looking for some hardware in a probe routine, I want _nothing_
_nada_ _zip_ happening behind my back.  No interrupts, no "strategically
placed callbacks", nothing.

This has nothing to do with how DELAY() works, it's basic 'least surprise'
stuff.