Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 18:40:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        elh@svic.com (Ed Hudson)
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, elh@svic.com, elh@spnet.com
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 installation bug on 1gig machines

Ed Hudson said:

> howdy.
>
> 	i just tried to install 2.2.5 on a 1gig
> 	pentium pro machine and got the error
> 	message (something like):

This is just a guess (I am normally in the guts of the
kernel, and not involved with installs.)

You'll have to limit the memory during installation
with changing the iosiz parameter to be something
like 32768 or somesuch.  You should be able to install
then.

Afterwards, rebuild the GENERIC or some other customized
kernel to avoid bounce-buffers.  You'll also run into
kernel address space problems, where others have solutions
for that problem.  There is nothing limiting us to less
than 3GB, other than config issues :-(.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org