Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:52:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jdn@acp.qiv.com (Jay Nelson)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

> >Much of the existing "AntiSPAM" practice, while it has been truly
> >well intentioned, has resulted in a balkanization of email
> >connectivity, to the point that the Internet really no longer
> >meets its initial design goals, at least in as far as email is
> >concerned.  Having only a single path between all servers for
> >any given source and destination email address is broken.
>
> I would submit that the "internet" is no longer functioning as it was
> intended, although it seems to have met it's design goals too well.
> The bulkanization of email, as you call it, strikes me as a reasonable
> situation in the face of people who now expect me to pay for the
> receipt and distribution of their advertising. What the average
> spammer does, is steal my resources and bandwidth for their own gain.
> An ISP who allows that activity is an accessory to the theft.

That's "balkanization", as in the division of the balkan states
between nations at the end of World War II to prevent reuinification
and thus the potential of another Hitler.

It's a cure which is often worse than the disease.  We build networks
to communicate, and then we hobble them because we are unwilling (or
simply too lazy) to deploy appropriate technology to prevent them
from being abused.

> Your credentials idea is more abominable than the spammers. It would,
> in fact, be one more trackable datum that would surely be abused by
> government pinheads with too much time on their hands.

Nonsense.  All it would say is that "This credential belongs to domain Y,
which is not (yet) a known source of SPAM; this credential expores on
date YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS".

If the government wants this information, it can run "nslookup"
against the RBL database, using any of the millions of machines the
governemnt owns, after doing a "getpeername()".

> The single path notion sounds a lot like UUCP, which has, and still,
> works quite well. If the socialization of the internet becomes more of
> a reality, it may be a worthy alternative.

Then run UUCP of TCP/IP, and insist on authentications before starting
up your "g" protocol transmission.  There no reason to pollute SMTP
with in-band authentications; if the authentication belongs anywhere,
it belongs in the transport, so that it doesn't have to be reinvented
(differently, and generally poorly) by any person to lazy to install
SSLeay (or IPv6 + IPSEC).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---