Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:18:47 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Article Network performance by OS

At 2:49 PM -0400 6/17/01, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>  So clearly the developers know what they are supposed to do.

	No.  Not when they claim that sendmail does precisely the same
thing, and I can easily demonstrate from the RELEASE_NOTES that this
changed in 8.10 (previously, I think sendmail checkpointed after
every ten recipients, but in order to prevent possible problems where
an error partway down the list could wind up with a copy of the
message being re-delivered every time to all recipients above the
problem one and after the last checkpoint, they changed SuperSafe to
be true).

>  With disk failure rates being what they are, and the uptime some
>  people get, I don't think the normal MTA behavior helps very much
>  anyway. It is an option though, just not the default.

	Linux async mounts still trash filesystems.  If you don't care
about that, that's fine.  But then you've got no business writing an
article for a magazine like _SysAdmin_.

>  Obviously these people want to sell a product, and they don't care
>  what they have to do to make that product look good. Maybe they have
>  more of a clue than you do, mixed with a bit of evil perhaps.

	You haven't been watching the responses from one of the authors
on the mailing list set up to discuss this article (as requested by
the folks at _SysAdmin_).  He really is clearly clueless with regards
to benchmark tuning, FreeBSD in general, and proper operation of SMTP
MTAs.

	I would invite you to send your own letter to the publishers of
_SysAdmin_, which will get forwarded to the mailing list, which you
will then probably be subscribed to.  Then you can see the
cluelessness for yourself.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */