Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stunt Pope <markjr@shmOOze.net>
To:        Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@w3page.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Whats this??

On 23-Apr-98 Blaine Minazzi wrote:

> Apr 23 04:40:55 xenu sendmail[9960]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
> www.abramstech.com [206.113.130.33]
> Apr 23 05:50:24 xenu sendmail[2091]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
> www.abramstech.com [206.113.130.33]
> Apr 23 06:48:23 xenu sendmail[4999]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
> www.abramstech.com [206.113.130.33]

These ones above indicate someone merely connected to your sendmail port,
and then closed the connection without entering any commands. (Perhaps
just to see what version of sendmail you are running?).

There are various autobots and worms roaming the net doing this for
whatever reasons (i.e. foraythenet.com)

> Apr 23 09:16:21 xenu sendmail[615]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): Cannot open
> hash database /etc/mail/popauth.db: Inappropriate file type or format
> Apr 23 09:16:29 xenu sendmail[645]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): Cannot open
> hash database /etc/mail/popauth.db: Inappropriate file type or format

Now these would indicate a local problem to me. Something in your
sendmail.cf is referencing this file, perhaps calling it a hash when it's
really a btree, or something like that.

I wouldn't say the two are necessarily related.

-mark

---
Mark Jeftovic                   aka: mark jeff or vic, stunt pope.
markjr@shmOOze.net              http://www.shmOOze.net/~markjr
Private World's BOFH            http://www.PrivateWorld.com
irc: L-bOMb                     Keep `em Guessing