Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 16:59:34 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: <Help> Exabyte 8200 tape driver

peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva) wrote:
> FreeBSD and the 8200 don't get along. I get a lot of bogus errors and
> hangs from an Adaptec 2940 and a 1540B. I assumed it was because the 8200
> is sorta halfway between SCSI1 and SCSI2.

Mine works fine on my 2.1.0 system.  Maybe its a difference the drive
firmware dates?  Mine IDs itself as an EXB-8200 rev 265T and a manufacture
date in late 1994 (going from my [frequently foggy :-)] memory). I don't
pound it hard - just the occasional backups that I remember to do of my
home system.

Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br> wrote:
> My only "problem" was that I could not have the same information from
> the tape as I has in a SunOS/Solaris, while using mt status.

I think that I've been able to accomplish that doing explicit blocksizes
with 'dd' and  'mt setblocksize' (I forget the exact 'mt' subcommand name -
my FreeBSD system is at home & I'm not right now).  So, on SunOS, something
like this:

	tar cvf - . | dd of=/dev/rst1 obs=32768

and on FreeBSD:

	mt setblocksize 32768
	dd if=/dev/rst0 ibs=32768 | tar xvf -

or something like that (apply the same memory comment from above).

If there's any commands I could run or file contents I could send FYI, just
let me know.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org