Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 17:35:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan ATX 1668

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > I've got one of these on order, and I understand that there's a
> > problem with the 5th PCI slot, which is not currently a problem for me
> > since I'm currently planning to use 3 slots.  However, I was wondering
> > if this problem is a hardware problem or a BIOS problem, and whether
> > it matters which BIOS (AMI/Award) one is using.  If it's BIOS, what's
> > the change that Tyan will have the BIOS manufacturers fix it if we all
> > complain?
>
> The 5th slot shares the same interrupt map as the fourth slot, so you
> must be able to share PCI interrupts for it to function.  This should
> not be a problem, but you should be aware of it if you intend to use
> dual interrupt cards, like the Adaptec 3940 dual channel SCSI controller,
> since you will have to leave the slot "downwind" of the controller blank
> (ie: you can put the controller in slot 1 and leave slot 2 empty, you
> can put it in slot 2 and leave slot 3 empty, you can put it in slot 3
> and leave *both* slot 4 & 5 empty, or you can put it in slot 4 or 5 and
> leave slot 5 or 4 AND slot 1 empty).

	Just one note on this -- it is possible to fill all of your slots
with a 3940.  The cards downwind of it just have to be able to share
interrupts.  I've got an ASUS P/I-P65UP5 w/ C-P6ND cpu card, and the
following card/slot configuration:

slot 1: SMC 10/100 ethernet card
slot 2: Hauppauge WinCast/TV dbx
slot 3: SMC 10/100 ethernet card
slot 4: Adaptec 3940UW
slot 5: Matrox Millennium

	The Adaptec board shares two interrupts -- one with the Matrox card
and one with SMC card in slot 1.

--
Kenneth Merry
ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu