Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:28:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        chris@netmonger.net
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shared memory - Was: 2 Queries

In article <20000301124613.A15018@netmonger.net>,
Christopher Masto  <chris@netmonger.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 06:20:28PM +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:
> > I would say that the programs you've mentioned are badly written then.
> >
> > It takes no more than
> >
> >         XSync(disp,False);
> >         shmctl( shmid, IPC_RMID, 0);
>
> It takes no more than a well-designed operating system service to
> ensure that badly written programs don't fail to release resources
> when they crash.

We didn't design that particular service.  That's why it's called
System V shared memory.  Also, it's persistent for legitimate design
reasons, just like files are.  Applications need to clean up after
themselves.  The OS has no way of knowing whether an application wants
its shared memory segments to survive after it terminates.

John