Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:18:42 -0800
From:      Sean-Paul Rees <sean@dreamfire.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which mail server is the best? qmail, postfix or exim?

Herbert Chang wrote:

> I want to install a mail server on FreeBSD. There are many ports of mail
> server on http://www.freebsd.org/ports/mail.html. I wonder which is the
> best:  qmail, postfix, exim or other?

Definately a religious issue... but I'll still throw my comment in the
bowl.

I've used and recommend qmail for small/large sites, because of its
relative ease to configure and manage. Its license is a bit restrictive
however, from what I've heard.

I currently use Postfix, and I love it. I didn't need to add 5 different
users and groups, just one. It also was fairly easy to setup, and didn't
require a third party program listen for it.

I haven't used sendmail in ages, because the last time that I did, I got
myself rooted.

I've heard good things about exim, but haven't taken the time to try it.

Cheers,
Sean