Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:19:29 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@caspian.plutotech.com>
To:        Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Kevin Street <street@iname.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sym driver 0.3.0

>Indeed it was that. I have fixed it yesterday when rereading the code an=
>made SYM.0.4.0 available. I just reread the code after having posted my
>suggestion to look on the tags number and discovered the issue. I have
>stressed the change using LXY4 and it seemed robust and fits XPT
>expectations that reduces the device queue depth now. I had been confuse=
>while testing the QUEUE FULL code the first time by the value 32 reporte=
>by camcontrol versus 64 asked by the SIM. By the way, I never experience=
>problem with LXY4 when starting with 64 tags under Linux and adjusting
>the tag depth when needed. When the write caching is disabled on LXY4, t=
he
>device can accept more than 32 tags without returning QUEUE FULL. May-be=

>FreeBSD-CAM is a bit too conservative about quircky devices.

It has always been my intention to change the tag reduction algorithm to
be more adaptive than the current approach.  In order to deal gracefully
with resource shortages in multi-initiator situations, the tag algorithm
should attempt to raise the number of tags.  Assuming this 'windowing'
code only occasionally incurs a QUEUE FULL, quirk entries for devices
like the Atlas II would not be needed.  This is another entry on my
whiteboard.

--
Justin