Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:11:16 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software Manager - try again later

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:43:34 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Thank you :)
>
> I've got some thoughts, before I continue.
>
> What version of FreeBSD does include the snd_hdspe driver? Do I have to
> download and burn a version > 9.0?

Yes, I think you should use 9-STABLE for that.

> Since the issue to get the needed slice/partition with the needed file
> system is solved by installing PC-BSD 8.2 instead of FreeBSD 9.0, I
> could backup the current install and then delete all files (but keep the
> slice and fs) and try to install FreeBSD again.

That's a good idea. You could skip manually deleting any files.
Just have the installer format them (omitting the step of
creating them of course).

> If it shouldn't work, I
> still could restore PC-BSD from the backup.

That should work fine.

> Since I want to test audio and MIDI, I wonder if 64 bit is the right
> choice. Is there something I should know about advantages and drawbacks
> of 32 bit and 64 bit architecture for audio?

If you do not have a _specific_ requirement for 32 bit, use 64 bit,
of course if you have a 64 bit CPU. :-)

Specific requirements _could_ be wine and nVidia's proprietary
GPU driver, as far as I know.

> When I backuped BSD yesterday, I noticed that PC-BSD 8.2 couldn't mount
> all my Linux partitions. I'm not sure, but I suspect I could mount ext3,
> but not ext4, at least the backup is on an ext3 partition.

That sounds normal. The base OS installation does not cover the
high amount of different Linux file systems.

> Is there something, perhaps a kernel version, I should prefer to use
> FreeBSD on my Linux machine?

No, you just need fuse with the required ext3, ext4, ext5,
ext(n+1) and ReiserFS functionality. :-)

> For audio on FreeBSD is there something to know about real-time, before
> I install another BSD?

The term "real time" doesn't precisely apply to FreeBSD or any
non-RT OS. However, there are some specific Linux distributions
that aim at music professionals, offering MIDI functionality,
lots of programs relating to that topic, and so on. Many things
that work on Linux also tend to work on FreeBSD, but you'll have
to try, because audio is a "niche market". :-)

> Again the question regarding to a backup I made yesterday.
>
> My fstab:
> /dev/label/rootfs0      /                       ufs             rw,noatime      1       1
> /dev/label/swap0        none                    swap            sw              0       0
> /dev/label/var0         /var                    ufs             rw,noatime      1       1
> /dev/label/usr0         /usr                    ufs             rw,noatime      1       1
> procfs                  /proc                   procfs          rw              0       0
> linprocfs               /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw              0       0
>
> That's how I backuped:
> # dump -0Launf - /dev/label/rootfs0 | bzip2 > /media/unused8/rootfs0-2012-12-14.dump
> # dump -0Launf - /dev/label/var0 | bzip2 > /media/unused8/var0-2012-12-14.dump
> # dump -0Launf - /dev/label/usr0 | bzip2 > /media/unused8/usr0-2012-12-14.dump
>
> IIUC I can backup BSD, while running the BSD I backup and the commands
> above did backup everything. I could delete all files and restore it
> from this backup. Is this correct?

That is correct. You should _test_ your backup; see the -t and
-N options mentioned in "man restore". Make sure you backup all
your partitions -- I see you have /, /var and /usr; if that's
everything, it's okay.

Additionally, you could backup your disks's MBR using dd.

	# dd if=/dev/<disk> of=/where/your/backup/is/disk_mbr.dd bs=512 count=1

Just in case. You probably won't need it. But who knows... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany