Date:      Mon, 17 May 2004 09:38:04 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@psknet.com>
To:        "'Shawn Mitchell'" <shawnm@iodamedia.net>, "'Chris Cook'" <ccook@arkansasdoc.com>, "'Evan Sayer'" <esayer1@san.rr.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Modem Pool

I agree with Shawn.  While FreeBSD /can/ terminate dialup connections, it's
not a very fun thing to do.  You're limited to v34, and probably 16 or 32
max connections.  For the price of the multi-port serial board and modems,
you can have a much nicer solution.  Anyone terminating more than 2 or 3
dialup connections directly on FreeBSD boxes is either crazy, or has had
their system running for more than a few years.

For a very affordable way in, check out the Max 6000:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11186&item=3095985718
&rd=1

You won't get v92 on this sucker, but it will support v90 quite well.  An
excellent entry-level platform.  Also look for Portmaster 3.  They go for
about the same price, and supposedly the source is being maintained (check
out http://www.portmasters.com).

The TNT Shawn posted has a DS0 backplane of less than 1024 channels, which
is the theoritical max.  I would not suggest going much past a single T3
(768 channels) or two E3s (960) channels.

The nice thing about the TNT, is that if you build it with the right cards,
you can eventually move them to the APX platform, which does max out at
several thousand ports, some 8,192 of them.

My own migration pattern was to go from 2 6096's to the TNT.  I'm currently
about 2/3 full on the TNT.  When/if I hit 1100 or so ports in a single
huntgroup, I'll move up to the APX8000 or 8100.

For more info on the APX/TNT/MAX/PM3 platforms, check out
http://www.lucent.com/support/documentation.html (click on general access).

--
  Troy Settle
  Pulaski Networks