Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:06:54 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Caleb Land <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading Gnome (or any other port installed software)

Caleb Land wrote:

> Hello,
>         I've been using FreeBSD 4.0 for a couple of months (I needed to use the
> current one because of my ATA/66 controller card), and I would like to know
> what the ``proper'' method is to upgrade a large package such as Gnome from
> ports.  I don't mind custimizing the software again (if there
> areincompatibilities), just as long as it works.

This is somewhat uncomfortable, but manageable: First,
   pkg_info -aI|grep gnome
tells you wich packages need to be updated. For each of those packages
   pkg_delete <package_name>
to get rid of all the old versions. Note which packages you have installed -- this
may be a considerable long list, especially with mega-ports as gnome.
After that
   cd /usr/ports/gnome/x11/gnome; make all install clean
and you're set up again. repeat for anything still missing from your list noted
earlier.

HTH
-Christoph Sold