Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:27:52 +0000
From:      Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
To:        "freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org" <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installation on SUN U10 Continued

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 12:50, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > The U10 does have Solaris 9 installed and this can read the CD and all
> > appears to be correct.
>
> `appears' is vague.

What I was trying to say is that I can open folders and files on the CD.
I am not sure however that the CDs are ok, but I have burnt them myself
on 2 deferent burners on 2 different machines using both Roxio and Nero.
I also got NERO to do a verify afterwards.

> Best be really sure your box can read the installation media.
> Use your existing Solaris (or move cdrom drive temporarily to another
> host with some Unix) & read the cdrom image to hard disc, something like
>
> 	dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2k of=bsd.iso
> 	md5 bsd.iso
> 	compare the MD5 with CHECKSUM.MD5
>
> Warning: some cdrom device drivers return 1 x 2048 byte sector too many,
> so you may need to trim before md5, with dd count=some_number

Thanks Julian,

I'll try that. I suspect that the problem lies with the CDROM itself. I
tried changing if for other CDROMs and the U10 did not find them. Is
there some limitation on what CDROMs that can be used with the U10?

Rob