Date:      Sun, 19 Feb 1995 12:58:57 +0100
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Possible kern.maxproc fatal bug

I report this in case it points a finger towards inadequate limit checking in
the kernel:
	(how i managed to induce the bug, with my mangled ports make set up,
	doesn't worry me, it's the kernel reaction that is of interest )

As last line in my /etc/rc.local I used to have
	sysctl  -w  kern.maxproc=300
An innocent
	cd /usr/ports ; make -i
would then always crash the system (even when compiled as normal user,
& with everything in ports having been changed to owner jhs (thus no suid 0
stuff lurking in /usr/ports)).

Without the
	sysctl  -w  kern.maxproc=300
I would merely get on console:
	Feb 19 11:38:32 vector kernel.nu: proc: table is full
(The system was forking a series of nominal ncftp's & makes recursively)
BTW I have:
	NCFTP=abort
	/usr/vsl/bin/abort
	& my abort generates Signal 6 (SIGABRT)
	I do this as a crude way of forcing make to blunder on & compile most
	ports, without constantly needing my pay-as-you-use modem slip link.

---
Julian Stacey	<jhs@freebsd.org>