Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 07:45:32 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>, Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ntpd as time server?

I have a number of Win boxes getting its time sycning from the same FBSD
time master as the other FBSD "slaves. So, all boxes on the LAN have the
same time. For the Win2K (over Samba) the following is placed in a batch
file and run by the task scheduler on the WinsK boxes:

#NET TIME \\"master FBSD NETBIOS name" /SET /Y

Works real well for me....

At 08:58 PM 1.12.2002 -0500, Tim Kellers wrote:
>I used Samba to make my FreeBSD box look like an NT domain member and
>set-up my Windows 2k workstations with:
>
>net time \\"FreeBSD box NETBIOS name" /s /u
>
>and have:
>
># ntpdate time.apple.com
>
>cron'd on the FreeBSD box to update it's time daily
>
>(check Win Help on the net time switches, I set this up a while back, have
>never had to fiddle with it, so I might not have the syntax of the /s and
>/u switches correctly)
>
>Tim Kellers
>CPE/NJIT
>

>On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
>
>> My LAN is full of winboxs? Each one has this TSR pgm socketWatch.
>> This pgm checks a internet time server and resets the pc time.
>> Instead of 700 machines hitting the internet time server once a hour,
>> I would like to setup ntpd to go out to the internet time server
>> once a hour for a update to the FBSD machine and them have my
>> windows LAN boxes get the time from FBSD time server.
>> I could not find anything in the ntpd man page that talks about
>> setting up ntpd as a time server to service time requests from
>> other machines. What I read is that ntpd will broadcast the time
>> down the LAN network for any listening clients to pick and user
>> the time info. The win SocketWatch pgm does not work that way.
>> Is ntpd the wrong software product for what I want to do?
>> Does anybody know of something better suited?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Joe

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"