Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:41:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Volker Stolz <vs@foldr.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/29846: SRA login via telnet ignores PAM

>Number:         29846
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       SRA login via telnet ignores PAM
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD monster.ikea.net 4.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.4-PRERELEASE #27: Sun Aug 12 16:42:41 CEST 2001 vs@monster.ikea.net:/opt/obj/opt/src/sys/MONSTER i386

While trying to build some more PAM modules, I noticed that when telnetting to localhost
the PAM settings in /etc/pam.conf for "login" are ignored. Only when I disable SRA via "telnet -X sra"
PAM is used.
>How-To-Repeat:
Configure PAM for login so that it does something *visible*, e.g. via /usr/ports/security/pam_ssh -
you should see some SSH-related variables in the environment when logging in on the console.
Now telnet localhost and check: the pam module hasn´t been invoked!
Try with -X sra: voila, here they are!
>Fix:
Not yet, my eyes still hurt from looking at the telnetd sources.