Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 07:23:36 -0400
From:      "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+Sept2001@kew.com>
To:        <gerti@BITart.com>, <jim@nasby.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Stable" <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Vinum vs. hardware RAID (was: RAID5)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerd Knops" <gerti@bitart.com>
To: <jim@nasby.net>
Cc: "FreeBSD-Stable" <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 8:00 PM

> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >
> > On the same vein, is booting off of vinum in the works yet? I know
> > it's been looked into... It seems that would be one of the biggest
> > advantages that hardware raid has over vinum.
> >
> For some definition of advantage that is.

Advantage: Automatic handling of drive failure.

> I view the / and /usr partitions as more or less static, and only put
> the partition containing user data on the RAID.

I also put my user data on a seperate file system, but that's not a reason
to avoid mirroring /usr.  I don't mirror / only because of the booting
issues.

Too many "trivial" configuration and status files go on / and /usr, not the
least of which is the passwd database.  Unless you have / and /usr mounted
as R/O, it's amazing how those creep file systems away from being the same
as the manual mirror.

> If something important
> changes in / or /usr, I mirror those to the backup disk manually. Now
> if any of those partitions gets corrupted beyond repair (or beyond the
> abilities of some remote operator), I simply have to swap the drives
> and am back in business. I think a setup like this is actually safer.

You're using manual mirroring to take the place of tape backups.   I believe
the two are separate functions.

Tape backups are cheaper and also automatic if you use AMANDA or whatever
you prefer.  Once you're backing up any sizable user data on RAID, putting /
and /usr on the tape is a minor incremental cost.